Wednesday 6 June 2012

Diary Entries - Izzie L.


Dear Diary,
Today was the reaping. It was the first time Prim has been entered. I told her she didn't need to worry. After Prim and I got ready, we ate and than headed for the square. Effie read out the name and it wasn't me. It was Primrose Everdeen. She was one in thousands! I moved my way through the crowd and gasped “I volunteer!” Everyone went silent. It was the first time in decades that district 12 has had a volunteer. Not many people would volunteer there life for there siblings like I did. I guess I just found the strength inside of me. After, Effie reaches into the bowl which contains the boy's names, and reads out “Peeta Mallark.” We are taken to custody to say our last goodbye's. Prim told me I could win, but I don't think I can. After, we head on the train to take us to the capital. The tribute train is fancier than any other room I've seen. The smell of dinner brings me to the dinning room. I eat with Effie and Peeta. The food is the best I've ever tasted, so rich. Now I'm in my room reflecting upon the choice I made today.
How am I supposed to win? I have to win for her, for Prim.

Dear Diary,
Today is the third day of training, our private session with the gamemakers. As usual District 12 was slated to go last. When they summon me, I walk into the gymnasium. Instantly, I know I'm in trouble. The gamemakers have been there too long, had too much wine. I go over to the bows and right when I’m about to shoot, I realize how rigid it is, nothing like the ones at home. I missed the target. The gamemakers laughed and ignored me when I shot the dummy right through the heart. Infuriated I picked up an arrow and shot it straight into the apple in the pig’s mouth. I thanked them for their consideration in a sarcastic way, and stormed out of the gym. I rushed back to my room sobbing, thinking what a big mistake I made. I went down to dinner and everyone was there. After telling everyone what happened and my concerns, Haymitch told me that they’ll probably just make my life hell in the arena. It cheered me up at bit. Than it was time to watch the announcement of the scores. The career tributes are in the eight-to-ten range, Rue got a 7, and Peeta gets an eight. Not to bad. And me well, I got ELEVEN! Everyone was kind of shocked but excited. Haymitch told me they must have liked my temper.
Today gave me some hope, maybe I can win this. I will have a lot of sponsors!

Dear Diary,
Today is the day of interviews with Caesar Flikerman. Peeta asked to be coached separately. So betrayed... Yesterday I had a four-hour long session with Effie. She taught me how to walk in heels and a gown and about eye contact, gestures and my smile. It was hard on me. Next I had a session with Haymitch, it didn’t go so well. He told me I had as much charm as a dead slug. Today I spent some time with Cinna. After, everyone headed off to the stage for the interview. The tributes are interviewed in order, all with their own shticks: District 1's girl tribute is playing up the sex appeal. District 2's boy is a "ruthless killer". I was next up after Thresher. The stadium was filled with people. I felt nervous, but Caesar is a warm and helpful host. I made the audience laugh. Caesar asks about the sacrifice I made by taking Prim’s place. I tried to be warm, but I could feel ice in my veins. I told him that Prim asked me to win, and that I said I would. Peeta went up next. He played up the fact that he’s a baker’s son and is winning and funny with the host. And then? Time for a showstopper. Ready? Peeta tells the host that he has a crush on a girl, but that it's not going to work out. Why? Because she came to the Games with him. That’s right, it’s me. Back at the training center I was furious at Peeta for making me look like a fool. Haymitch disagreed that he did me a huge favor. He made me seem desirable. So now Peeta and I are known as the star-crossed lovers from District Twelve.

Dear Diary,
This will probably be the last time I write in this journal. This morning Cinna dressed me in a simple outfit and a hovercraft came to take me to the arena. On board, a metal tracking device was inserted into me. When I arrived, I was taken to the Launch Room. The room is new and will never be used again. The arena’s become historic sites once the Games are over where tourists come to visit. Cinna equips me with the outfit and gear that all the tributes have, including a hooded black jacket designed to reflect body heat. He pined on my gold mockingjay pin. Cinna repeats Haymitch’s final advice: run, find water. Sorry I can’t write more! I have to go now! Wish me luck! Maybe I could come out of here alive… I guess we’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment